The first new thing I’m wanting to try out this term is Literacy Packs.
I have created a pack of help guides and sheets for each of my 7 different groups and popped them in a clear zip folder. These are a collation of different guides if collected from Pinterest, TES, Doodle.ed amongst others. I am hoping that by having these sheets readily available on the table that will cut out the shyness of some pupils who may require help. There are many sheets in there that I will refer to during the course of the year and others will be there for pupils to use at their own leisure. I have laminated the ones I think will be most used.
Here’s a list of the sheets I included.
- Question Grid – To help come up with good questions about a unit or topic.
- Character Traits- Words to help when describing someone.
- Literacy Moods- Words to help describe moods.
- Would you Rather- Conversation starters
- Say Something- Prompts to help you when discussing or describing something.
- Discussion Stems- Prompts to help you have good conversations.
- Meaningful Conversations- Prompts to help with your discussions.
- Stop Saying “You are so Smart” – Ideas to help you when giving feedback.
- What can I say to Myself?- Ideas to help when self assessing.
- Multiplication Chart- Help with Times Tables.
- My Goals- Plan to help you with setting goals and action plans.
- Team Talk Cards- Conversation starters for your Home Group.
- Working Together Skills- Help sheet to identify how different social skills work.
- Parts of a Paragraph- Help with structuring a paragraph.
- Persuasive Writing- Words and prompts to help you write a persuasive piece of writing.
- Persuasive Writing Template– a template to use to help you structure your arguments.
- Co-Operative Self Evaluation- Help sheet to self-evaluate yourself.
- Team Project Evaluation- Completed by each individual in the group at the end of a group task.
- 3 B4 Me- Help sheets full of top tips of where to go for help if you are stuck.
- Literacy Mats- Laminated mats to help you with punctuation, spelling, grammar, paragraph, structure, sentences, Reciprocal Reading, School Skills.
- Solo Taxonomy- Sheet detailing the different stages of SOLO taxonomy and how to progress to the next stage.
- Building an Argument- Help with structuring an argument.
- Oreo Opinions- Help with giving an answer and justifying it.
- SMART Goal Map- Help with making a target for yourself.
- Blob Tree- Help with Self Evaluation, which blob are you?
- Review My Own Learning- Hi 5 Self Evaluation
- Weekly Learning Reflection- Weekly learning log to complete.
In order to get pupils to engage and feel comfortable with the contents of the pack, their first challenge as a group was to go through the pack and as a group decide what sheet they think is the most helpful to them. This way they are having to look as a group as everything in the pack. It was interesting to see how some pupils valued the use of target setting, others it was paragraph or argument structure and others it was spelling help sheets.
I will review this in a later blog post to see if the sheets are being used.